PRS Silver Sky - Polar blue Maple
find lower price somewhere else? we match price! Let us know
You can buy from our marketplace too
PRS's Take on an American Classic
The PRS Silver Sky was designed by Paul Reed Smith and built to John Mayer's specifications. This vintage-inspired guitar boasts a familiar shape with an eye-catching contrasting tone in its cutaway scoop. Its neck carve, scale length, and fingerboard radius were modeled after John's early-'60s instruments; however, a modified PRS-style headstock and locking tuners propel it firmly into the twenty-first century. Park this axe in front of any tube amp, and its sweet-sounding single-coil pickups will churn out glassy, musical tones with excellent note definition. Beyond that, the Silver Sky includes a bone nut, molded metal jack plate, retooled knobs, custom fret-wire, and PRS's double-action truss rod.
Vintage-inspired neck with practical contemporary touches
The Silver Sky's bolt-on neck is patterned after John Mayer's beloved vintage instruments. Its fingerboard is loaded with 22 custom-sized frets, and it boasts a 25.5" scale length and 7.25" radius. At Hiendguitar, we're intimately familiar with the unique feel of classic American electric guitars, and we can attest — PRS nailed it. Wrap your hand around this neck, and you'll agree — it just feels right. The Silver Sky features an inverted PRS-style headstock that's been modified to accommodate John's playing style and to keep a consistent length of string behind the nut, which improves intonation. You also get traditional vintage-style closed-back tuners with modern locking mechanisms.
A trio of sweet-sounding single-coil pickups
If you're a single-coil tone connoisseur, you'll love the PRS Silver Sky. Its pickups combine the best elements of early-'60s American electric guitars: a round and full tone with glassy, musical highs that never venture into icepick land. The chiming harmonics yielded by these pickups are jaw-dropping. And when you put them in front of a tube amp, you get a gorgeous growl with outstanding note definition. These pickups have a few modern tricks up their sleeve, too: they exhibit a higher signal-to-noise ratio than vintage models, and their in-between sounds are noise canceling. On top of that, their electronics have been precision valued, ensuring superior consistency from pickup to pickup.
Classic-styled tremolo with modern reliability
Much like its tuners, the Silver Sky's tremolo takes a classic design and embellishes it with modern features. For starters, it features PRS's unthreaded tremolo arm, which supplies you with a small set screw to optimize its playing position. Beyond that, Gen III knife-edge screws ensure a reliable return to pitch. Also, per John Mayer's request, the tremolo rests flush against the guitar's body in a neutral position, so that it only goes down in pitch. Keeping the bridge in contact with the body amplifies the guitar acoustically, which improves the signal-to-noise ratio of the Silver Sky's pickups.
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Solidbody Electric Guitar Features:
- Vintage-inspired guitar based on John Mayer's early-'60s instruments
- Familiar shape with an eye-catching contrasting tone in its cutaway scoop
- Comfortable bolt-on maple neck is patterned after John Mayer's beloved vintage instruments
- Easy-playing rosewood fingerboard with 22 custom-sized frets, 25.5" scale length, and 7.25" radius
- Inverted PRS-style headstock was modified to accommodate John's playing style and improve intonation
- Sweet-sounding single-coil pickups churn out glassy, musical tones with excellent note definition
- Classic-styled tremolo with PRS’s unthreaded trem arm and Gen III knife-edge screws
- Traditional vintage-style closed-back tuners with modern locking mechanisms
- Includes a bone nut, molded metal jack plate, retooled knobs, and PRS's double-action truss rod